Student Employees

Graduate and undergraduate student workers can have unique employment situations such as remissions, having more than one job, or having funding from various sources (sometimes not through UCPath). This page contains resources specific to these employees.


As of January 2020, UCI employees get their pay a new way. UCPath is the University of California’s new, systemwide payroll, benefits, human resources and academic personnel system, replacing the 35-year old Payroll/Personnel System at all UC locations.

Instead of going to At Your Service Online (AYSO), UCI employees now go to UCPath Online for 24/7 access to pay and benefits information, with convenient self-service features for employees and managers.

Questions About Your Pay?

Your support options include:

  • Go to your department/division payroll coordinator
  • Contact UCI’s Employee Experience Center (EEC)
    Phone:  949-824-0500      Email:     Website:
  • Contact the UCPath Center (based in Riverside, CA)
  • UCPath Online  – Select the yellow “Ask UCPath Center” button at the top right of your browser window to send a secure message or virtually “chat” live with a UCPath Center associate between 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Call 855-982-7284 Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. PT, excluding holidays

All About UCI UCPath

UCPath is the University of California’s comprehensive payroll, benefits, human resources and academic personnel system for all UC employees, including graduate student employees.

UCPath starts at UCI in January 2020, with UCPath Online accessible January 2 via

The salary earned by graduate students for employment as Teaching Assistants/Associates, Readers, Tutors, and Graduate Student Researchers/Assistant Researchers, as well as for casual appointments (such as housing assistants, etc.) is paid from UCPath.

Fellowship stipends (i.e. from school/department fellowships, Graduate Division fellowships, external awards such as NSF GRFP, etc.) are not paid from UCPath. Fellowship stipends are paid via Graduate Division’s GradAid system and issued to students through SBS (Student Billing System). Stipends processed by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships are also paid through SBS.

Click on the UCPath Online button/link on the home page. To login, you will use your UCInetID and password, as well as Duo multi-factor authentication (MFA). For information on how to install and use Duo MFA on your smartphone, visit

Report any issues with incorrect or missing pay to the staff in your hiring department, as you normally would. The staff person responsible for graduate student employment will troubleshoot the issue and will escalate the issue if necessary. UCI’s new Employee Experience Center (EEC) is also available for local support through or 949-824-0500.

If an employee has more than one appointment, the paycheck stub only shows the employee’s primary appointment, but includes pay for all appointments held.

Ensure that you are enrolled in units and have paid any remaining fees not covered by remission (for example, campus fees or nonresident supplemental tuition for ASE appointments). You must also pay any past due charges on your SBS account, such as those from Housing, Student Health or UCI Libraries. If you still believe you should have received fee remission that is not reflected on your SBS account, contact your hiring department; they will troubleshoot with the Graduate Division employment team as needed.

For instant access to your pay on payday, sign up for Direct Deposit (for employment only) through UCPath Online via

You are strongly encouraged to use the direct deposit option. The only two options to receive pay under UCPath are direct deposit or paper paychecks mailed from UCPath via U.S. mail to your address on file. Paychecks will not be available to pick up on campus, and checks sent via U.S. mail may take an additional 2-3 days for delivery. Make sure your mailing address is up-to-date at all times.

If you will receive fellowship stipends (i.e. from school/department fellowships, Graduate Division fellowships, external awards such as NSF GRFP, etc.), you may sign-up for direct deposit via DEFT (Disbursement Electronic Funds Transfer). If you will receive scholarships processed by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, you may also use DEFT to sign-up for direct deposit.

Visit UCPath Online via to view or update your address and other personal information. If you still receive paper paychecks, it is very important that your address is correct so your checks are sent to the right place. Please note that UCPath will not accept P.O. Box addresses. Checks are sent via U.S. mail the day before payday and may take an additional 2-3 days for delivery. Sign up for Direct Deposit on UCPath Online for pay without delay.

To update your address for your academic record (transcripts, etc.) or fellowship/scholarship checks, you may do so via StudentAccess.