Your Pay. A New Way.
UCPath is the University of California’s new, modernized payroll, benefits, human resources and academic personnel system for all UC employees. It will replace UC's 35-year old Payroll/Personnel System (PPS) at UC Irvine starting January 2020. Explore this page to find out what’s new and how it will affect you. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is UCPath?UCPath = UC Payroll, Academic Personnel, Timekeeping, Human Resources
UCPath is a project launched by the University of California (UC) to modernize its current payroll system, which is nearly 40 years old. Once UCPath is live at all locations, all employees will use the same system. This new technology will unify and standardize our payroll, benefits, and human resources for all UC employees. It will increase efficiencies in working together and sharing information systemwide so we can better focus on our core mission of teaching, research, and public service.
UCPath launches at UCI in January 2020. With UCPath online, employees and managers will have 24/7 access to view and manage personnel information and benefits, view pay statements, sign up for direct deposit, update tax withholdings, see vacation and sick leave balances, and more. For questions and help, employees will still go to their local contact, or call the new UCI Employee Experience Center (EEC).
When and why we are switching to UCPath
UCPath will be launched at UCI in January 2020. First monthly paychecks under UCPath will be January 2; first bi-weekly paychecks under UCPath will be January 8.
UCPath replaces our 35-year-old PPS system that was outdated and differed from campus to campus. The new UCPath system will provide consistency across all UCs, and will improve the way HR and payroll services are provided to 200,000+ employees. Its state-of-the-art technology brings streamlined processes, consistent data, robust metrics, greater efficiencies, and a shared UCPath Center in Riverside that issues paychecks and processes many transactions. The user-friendly UCPath Portal provides 24/7 self-service access to employee and managers for payroll, benefits, and HR information.
- UCPath will replace UCI’s current Payroll and Personnel System (PPS) starting January 2020
- The new UCPath Portal will offer 24/7 online access to view and manage benefits, vacation and sick balances, W2s and earnings statements, personal and sabbatical information, and more
- Employees can also make benefits changes for life events through the online portal
- At Your Service Online (AYSO) will only be used for retirement information and historical payroll information; W-2s and earnings statements for 2019 and earlier will continue to be available on AYSO, but will move to the UCPath portal for 2020 and beyond
- Employees can sign up for and manage Direct Deposit on the online portal; Direct Deposit will also offer more options – up to three bank accounts (including credit union)
- Employees will get new ID numbers, which will be on pay statements on the online portal. The IDs will change from 9 characters to UCPath IDs, which will be 8 characters (ex. “091629880” to “10002261”).
- The UCPath Center in Riverside is a shared services center for all UCs that will issue paychecks and complete/approve many transactions
- Paycheck layouts will look different
- UCI will no longer be able to cut checks, so paper paychecks can no longer be picked up on campus; they will be mailed to home addresses the day before payday and may take 2-4 days to arrive (signing up for Direct Deposit will ensure access to earnings on payday with no delays)
- Paper pay statements from Direct Deposit will no longer be available for pick-up on campus; employees can view pay statements online via the UCPath portal 24/7
- Final pay for voluntary terminations will be at the next scheduled paycheck
- The policy of part-time employees accruing part-time vacation accrual will be enforced
- New workflow templates, forms and processes will be in place for employees who work with human resources transactions; training is provided leading up to the UCPath launch
- A new UCI Employee Experience Center (EEC) will provide help and answer questions through the phone and a user-friendly online portal
What is Not Changing
- Pay and benefits - they all convert to UCPath
- Direct Deposits - all Direct Deposits will convert to UCPath; employees currently signed up for DD don't have to do anything
- Employee information will convert to UCPath - employees should verify their home address and other personal information now to make sure it's current and correct
- Where to go to complete and submit timesheets — employees will still use their current system to report work time
- Where to go first for payroll/HR questions or help; employees should still go first to their local point of contact (department payroll or academic representative, CPOs, MAABOs, etc.)
- AYSO will still be used to manage beneficiaries and estimate retirement earnings; retirees will use AYSO to review retiree pay statements and 1099R statements
December 1, 2019
Verify or update your address or any other personal information on AYSO before December 1 for this information to be current when transferred to UCPath.
Cutover to the new system
January 2, 2020
UCI Employees can access UCPath Online via ucpath.uci.edu
January 2, 2020
First monthly paycheck in UCPath
January 8, 2020
First bi-weekly paycheck in UCPath
Prepare for UCPath
Get ready for UCPath by following these steps:
- Make sure personal information is correct in At Your Service Online. Confirm that your name, address, email, and phone number are current. If you still receive a paper paycheck, make sure your home address is right since your checks will be mailed there.
- Confirm that you know your UCInetID. You will need to login to the UCPath portal with your UCInetID, so make sure you know it before January 2020. Visit oit.uci.edu or contact your supervisor if you are unsure.
- Sign up for DUO Multi-Factor Authentication This second layer of security to protect your information will be required to access the UCPath portal. Sign up at oit.uci.edu/mfa.
- Watch a recording of a Roadshow or see the powerpoint decks here
Changes in Paycheck
- Paycheck format (e.g., deductions have different labels)
- New employee ID
- Vacation and sick leave balances are no longer displayed on the earnings statement; they are on the UCPath portal
- You may have up to three direct deposit accounts
- Small calculation differences for percentage 403b and 457b deductions when both are taken in the same pay period
- Small tax calculation differences; out-of-state and local taxes are now automated
- Executive life insurance is taxed in the current period and displayed on the earnings statement
- FICA taxes applied in the current pay period, not the following pay period
- Employer contributions split between first and second biweekly earnings statements instead of all in the first earnings statement
- Credit union deductions made via direct deposit
- Garnishments now shown on earnings statements; percentage garnishments are automatically calculated
- Small calculation differences in FLSA earnings
- Flat tax amounts now deducted evenly across all pay periods
What to Do in January
- Log in to UCPath Online to view your pay statement and benefits via ucpath.uci.edu.
- Click on the UCPath Online button and then enter your UCInetID and password.
- Continue with the required DUO multi-factor authentication.
- Answer security set-up questions and government-mandated demographic questions (first-time login only). One of your security questions will be presented when you perform certain tasks, such as opening a pay statement, to ensure your information is secure.
- Review personal information for accuracy and update if needed.
- Review your first UCPath pay statement to compare gross pay with previous pay. Review deductions for any differences. Remember in the new year there may be changes due to tax rates and benefit choices.
- Review your benefits to ensure they reflect your choices.
- Enter your emergency contact information.